lundi 24 octobre 2016

My PhD in England



PhD Student
Applied linguistics and Modern Languages
University of Southampton, UK

      Amina LECHKHAB
PhD Student
Intercultural Citizenship
Southampton University, UK

Amira BENABDELKADER
       PhD Student
Applied Linguistics
University of Southampton, UK

PhD Student
English Literature
University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK

Akila TABBI
PhD Student
Education
Canterbury, Kent, England

1.    Why did you chose the PhD and not something else?

“I wanted to deepen my study and develop further as an academician and researcher. It is a recognized degree worldwide which will hopefully open many career doors for me.” 
PhD Student

Her Career objective is to become academician and researcher, what is yours?

“That is because I would like to go further in my academic career and to produce something that is merely my own contribution, Also it is a path into a good job career.” Amina

Who say research say contribution :)

“I think that PhD will give me and my opinions more reliability and influence, enable me to make the required change, or at least negotiate with decision makers the current issues in language learning and teaching.” Amira

Indeed, we need to change and improve language learning here in Algeria
Your contribution would be more than appreciated

“It is my goal to have a higher university qualification, and PhD will open to me many doors for my professional future.” PhD Student

Researcher career is full of opportunities 

I invite you to choose this career because it is your passion

Not because it is full of opportunities.

“Because it is the way that would help me to get what I want and be a university teacher!” Akila

Yes, Akila is totally right to be a teacher at university, you should have PhD degree

But teaching and Searching are two different career path, nevertheless you can combine the two when you get the PhD and integrate the academic world


2.    Why did you choose this specialty as a thesis topic?

“For development reasons. My research is on analyzing English textbooks and how intercultural communication is promoted in English courses in Spain and Algeria. I wanted to contribute to a field that is in need of a fresher perspective.” PhD Student


“Because of the changes taking place in the Higher Education system, the process of globalization and internationalization of universities make intercultural communication and global citizenship a significant topic that requires research from different prospects.” Amina

“I would like to develop language teaching and learning, and to modernize this area in Algeria. Amira

We need you to join us in

A program that aims to revolutionize the teaching methods and develop them, directed to all teachers throughout the country, uniting them under one roof for three days of discovery, knowledge and innovation. Followed by a mentoring period for 6 months. Thanks to qualified instructors with international experience and the support of the Embassy of the United States, Algeria.

The study of English literature has always been my passion PhD Student

I like Tony Robbins’ quote
"Success without fulfillment is the ultimate failure."

Because I want to raise the youth's consciousness about the changes, they can bring to their lives and the world through Education.” Akila

I appreciate your goal
It’s our duty as Algerian youth to Improve Education by our resources and activities

I want to share with you one of a beautiful organization here in Algeria
That promote Education and civic engagement

A nonprofit organization advancing leadership through education, exchange, and development programs in more than 60 countries. In Algeria, World Learning has managed educational development programs since 2005, beginning with a partnership with the Ministry of National Education to reform the program for teaching English as a Foreign Language. Since then, World Learning has collaborated with the Ministries of Higher Education and Research as well as the Ministry of Youth and Sports to continue expanding the capacity of Algerian institutions to provide high-quality educational programs that prepare youth for success in the world of work.

3.    What have you gained from your studies in Algeria?

“Everything. I gained a good background and I gained gaps. The education system and content is Algeria is not satisfactory. I gained this huge desire to learn more. If education in Algeria was that developed, there is no need for me to leave and I think that it is this awareness about the lack of expertise in Algeria that made me go”.
PhD Student


Proud to be part of the 3rd Edition of



“I have learned the basics to research methodology, linguistics and Interculturality.”
Amina

I advise each one who is going to start his PhD studies
To learn research methodology
Before starting research thesis

My studies in Algeria have built a solid background in linguistics, translation and pragmatics...etc. I am relying on the knowledge I acquired and learnt from the Algerian institutions and teachers in order to achieve my goals as a PhD candidate.” Amira


“My studies in Algeria is the main factor that helped me to go abroad for PhD studies.”  
PhD Student

“The basics I am using as a starting point to go through my new experience, such as the English language itself, some courses here and there about TEFL, etc.” Akila


Although the Algerian education system or that of the higher education and scientific research have gaps, no one can ignore the benefits of this system who founded the basis of our education and knowledge

4.    How to apply for a thesis in your field, what approach to follow?

Scholarship
I invite you to check the first paragraph of
“My PhD in France”

Concours National de Majors dePromotion

More details By Amina and PhD Student 
The test involves three modules:

  • English Literature (2 hours);
  •  French(1 hour);
  • In addition, a module about general knowledge about the discipline.

Amina’s Case
You do not really choose your university but they rather choose to accept you or not based on your Language proficiency test score, the extent to which your research proposal is significant and if their staff can undertake supervision in your particular area of research.

The choice of the fields depends on the background you had in your master degree about a given area of research, it can be:

  • English Literature;
  • English Culture;
  •  ELT (English Language Teaching);
  •  Applied Linguistics.


Phd Student’s Case
After succeeding in the contest, the next step comes, that is preparing the PhD research proposal in your field of study and then applying to a given UK university; for me I have continued my Master field of study (Victorian Literature) and I have applied to different UK universities and I have been accepted by two Universities (University of Bristol and University of Liverpool). I have decided to choose University of Liverpool because I love the city.


What is your advice to the upcoming students?

Amina's Advice

1.Try to get as much knowledge as you can about literature because it is worth more credits.

2.You have to sit for the IELTS test which is tricky and requires a lot of preparation and practice, the language test is crucial as UK Universities demands' concerning the score in this test is high

 Phd Student 's Advice
As I am always saying, this scholarship comes once in lifetime, so each one, is going to take the contest, should prepare himself/herself very well and work so hard to achieve the goal so that they can start the PhD journey in UK.

It is clear; English Student
You have to be HARD WORKER

5. What have you learned during your PhD studies abroad?


“I learned discipline, commitment, resilience, professionalism. I discovered the world from so many other perspectives. It opened my eyes on many aspects. I also learn to love my country harder. What I experience here make me want to go back to Algeria and share it” PhD Student

Travelling allow us to discover new version of ourselves
Welcome dear Phd Student to your country
I am sure
All Algerian student look forward to learning from you  


“I acquired a set of research skills, critical thinking, socialization, how to make the best of my time every day, the affectivity of group work, self-independence, time-management and working within the deadlines, the importance of organizing seminars on a regular basis and the enormous benefits these seminars offer to students and academics, Presentation skills, open-mindness towards other people and cultures. Politeness, respect, responsibility...etc.” Amina
Research area allow us to develop our Soft Skills


“I might not be able to list all the things I have learnt. I would start by developing my self-reliance, self-control, independence and coping with loneliness. Moving to the academic skills, I am now getting able to manage my time according to priorities and before all organize these priorities. I could develop my critical thinking, presentation skills, and the required strategies for successful team-work...etc.” Amira
Time management Skill is required for all of us
Time is money

“Self-reliance, commitment, hard work, responsibility, and patience.” PhD Student

“I am still in my first year; just starting!”Akila
Good luck :)

6.    What are the challenges of doing a thesis abroad?


Money +Lack of self-confidence + Home sickness.
Phd Student
 Dear upcoming Student Be Prepared
Time-Management, cultural adaptation, leaving expenses and Education fees, different educational system...” Amina


“I think the main challenge is finding accommodation. Looking for the suitable room where to live, moving out and in, and packing and unpacking take a lot of time, effort and energy. The choice will decide about the other challenges they may face.
Concerning the culture, they have to get ready to the fact that Europe does not look like Africa, and the UK is not Algeria. The weather, life style, day length, food, behaviors, and many other things are very different. They should accept the differences without rejecting their Algerian identity.” Amira

“Concerning the challenges, you need to know how to manage your budget to avoid any financial problems. You need to familiarize yourself with the socio-cultural standards of the country you wish to go to avoid any mis-understanding. Phd Student

7.    What are your short and long-term prospects?

“Go back to Algeria for 5 years. Pay back the government investment by working in the country. After that, travel the world. If I have no family responsibility.” PhD student

“I will for sure go back to Algeria. My dream is to transmit at least ONE of the thing I have learnt and I am learning to ONE individual (I am saying AT LEAST).”Amina

“My short prospect is to finish my PhD thesis and to have the qualification, and my long term prospects are to back to Algeria, to have a job there, and to settle down.”  PhD student

“I am going back to Algeria to teach English at my University.” Akila

If you’re selected in
 “Concours National de Majors de Promotion“ Schoolarship
Coming back to Algeria after finishing studies is MANDATORY for a period of few years

8.    What is your advice to students willing to go for a thesis abroad?


“Do it. It is worth it. Do it for the right reason. Not to flee the country but to come back stronger.” PhD student

“Get involved as much as you can, learn about the culture, think critically, be prepared to work hard, develop your reading skills, learn about research methodology and get familiar with the current issues under investigation in your field,” Amina

“you should be ambitious and believe in yourselves. you have to be patient because you will not find the entire road paved for you all along your journey. you need to work hard but give yourselves some rest and relieve from time to time. ” Amira

“It is a chance that comes once in life, just work hard and go for it. “PhD student

“be hard workers, because there is no room for lazy people here. It is the least you can do if you really want to be in the Academia. Think about a topic, draft a research proposal, Google some Universities, contact Universities, make applications, be positive and keep your chin up! ” Akila

9.    Last word …


“I wish to all of you the very best of luck. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any guidance or support” Amira

Work hard in Algeria. Prove yourself in Algeria first. ” PhD student


“I am stressing the point of working hard, dreaming big, and making the best out of this experience.” Akila

“Be passionate about what you are doing”  
PhD Student

I would like to thank my special guest of this article
I discover with you new area and new language
Happy to work with each one of you ladies

Amina LECHKHAB
Amira BENABDELKADER
Akila TABBI
Two Anonymous PhD Students

I wish you all the best in your career and your life

Ladies and Gentlemen
Salma Share plane takes off from England
To land in...

:)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire