jeudi 10 novembre 2016

My Master studies in Switzerland



Ferhat GUEZLANE
Major de Promotion ESI 2010/2011
AJUG Club Founder and Team Leader
Master's Degree HEC Lausanne

1. Why did you choose Switzerland? Why not France?

To be honest, it was a pure luck to some extent. I applied for a Master programme in France like what most of my colleagues do. At the same time, I applied for a Master programme in Switzerland together with the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars (FCS). I was lucky to be accepted in both options, and I had to make a decisive decision at the end. After doing my own research and asking around, I opted for the Swiss option because it fitted better my academic and professional plans. In addition, Switzerland is one of the best countries for higher education and renowned for scientific research. Now, looking back, I would make the same decision again. 
It is very important to have more than one plan in life
If plan A does not work, we move to plan B

If we have to choose between more than one options, of course making the best decision would be difficult sometimes.
To make this process more easier, we need to seek for information from the suitable references (People & Websites)
Don’t forget to pray
صلاة استخارة  

2.Whish are languages should we master in Switzerland (French, English, Deutsch..)?

Switzerland has 4 main languages which are spoken in different parts of the country: German (>60%), French, Italian, and Romansh. However, the Master/PhD programmes are offered mainly in English (because they are international and open to foreign students from all over the world) .Thus, having a good level in English is a must. Knowing French will help in social life if you live the French part of the country. 

In Algeria, we have to master 3 languages:
Arabic for studies at primary, middle and high schools “It’s mandatory”;
French for universities studies and professional matters “It’s mandatory”;
English for Phd Studies and working at Multinational Companies “It’s mandatory

Let ‘s imagine, if we go abroad
We will need to learn Spanish, Chinese, Deutsh …
Each new language learnt is new key gained
This key may open new doors


3.What was your master studies field? 

I did a Master in Business Information Systems. This Master is offered in collaboration between HEC Lausanne and the university of Neuchatel. I opted for this Master because it offers a great balance between management/business and IT. In addition, it is a challenging programme with many interesting subjects like ( IT Strategy and IS Governance, Business Model Design & Innovation, Business Analytics, Project Management and Outsourcing, Social and Economic Networks, etc.). 

4.How to apply for a master in your field ?

Very easy, you can apply directly via the university web site. You will be asked to create an online account, and also send some documents and certificates by post-mail.

5.What are eligibility requirements?

It is important to have a good level in English and French (C1) and a bachelor/engineering degree with good grades. Different universities set their own criteria and deadlines, but the application process will usually commence in the academic year before your Master’s programme is set to begin. It’s important to start the procedure as early as possible.

Start  early, seek for opportunities and apply

6. What was the impact of your extracurricular activities on your candidacy to HEC Lausanne?


Extra-curricular activities were very important for me to grow professionally, and also allowed me to get to know interesting people and live amazing experiences. Of course, having these activities in your CV are always a plus, as they show your natural point of interests. Yes, extracurricular activities can be the little thing that differentiates your applications from others.

Extracurricular activities make applications more competitive

7.What have you learned during your master studies in Switzerland?

In addition to the technical and business skills that I acquired, I improved a lot my soft skills such as communication, how to work in a team, analytical thinking, and how to deal with difficult situations and personalities. For instance, I remember that in my first day at HEC Lausanne, I had to work in a group with students coming from all over the world (with different backgrounds) to come up with Business Models, and then make a couple of spontaneous presentations. This was not only fun and challenging at the same time, but also gives the opportunity to learn many skills at the same time. Here is a link to my Master program  Faculté des Hautes EtudesCommerciales (HEC Lausanne)


If we want really to succeed our professional career or daily life,
We should improve our soft skills.
How?!
Join Clubs, Associations and NGO
Those are the best places for learning

Communication, Interpersonal skills, Public speaking, Teamwork and Creativity …

  8. What have you gained from your studies at ESI?

At ESI, I gained mainly a panoply of technical skills, which vary from mathematics, operational research, basics of computer science, algorithms, and different programming languages. Furthermore, I learnt how to deal with difficult situations, and how to work under stress and pressure. These skills were really important for me during my Masters studies, and also in my current job.
I admit that ESI drives me to be crazy sometimes
I admit that ESI is a school of stress and pressure
I admit that ESI is my first destination when I visit Algiers

  9.What are the challenges of studying in Switzerland ?

Finding a way to finance your studies is a real challenge. The tuition fees are not that high compared to other countries (from 400 to 800 CHF), however, the costs of living are quite high ( transportation, insurance , accommodation, and food). You need to plan 1000 to 1400 CHF per month. Universities and the Swiss Gov. offer many scholarships to finance these costs.
Be prepared for economic challenges in Switzerland

Even though it is a small country, CH has four official languages and different cultures. Depending on the region you are living in, you will have some specific socio-cultural challenges to deal with, especially at the beginning. Punctuality, organisation, and respecting others are key elements in the Swiss culture. The biggest challenge is to find your own way out of your comfort zone (far away from your family and friends).  
 We have to learn pluralism and tolerance here in Algeria before going abroad

10. What are your short and long-term prospects?

I am trying to learn and gain as much experience as I can for the moment. I had the chance to start my career in an international work environment with interesting challenges. I am focusing currently on developing my potential and improving my skills. For the long term, I always wanted to start my own business, why not in Algeria. I am certainly attached to my country, and I hope that one day I will be able to give something back and also participate in its progress and development.
Welcome Ferhat to your country Algeria :)
We need to build new business far from hydrocarbon sector
Currently, Algeria need Algerian entrepreneurs to overcome economic crisis 

Entrepreneurship seems the best way to develop Algerian economic
Entrepreneurship content coming soon :)
Stay tuned

11.What is your advice to students willing to come to Switzerland?

If you are ready to accept and overcome the challenges mentioned above, and you have a specific career plan, then just give it a try.  Switzerland is one of the best countries for higher education and renowned for scientific research , and has one of the highest rate of foreign students enrolled in higher education programmes. You will find yourself in a very international and interesting environment to develop your plans. I encourage you to discover this country and check all the opportunities it can offer.

Leave your comfort zone
12. Would you help Algerian student having questions about studies in Switzerand? 
Yes, of course. I am always available; however, I encourage them to do their homework first. This website will be very helpful: Swissuniversities



Thank you  Ferhat for your strong collaboration
I wish you all the best in your career and your life



Ladies and Gentlemen
Salma Share plane takes off from Switzerland
To land in... 

:)

I let you guess my next guest

8 commentaires:

  1. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Thank you a lot for all this information, it's very interesting,but the tuition fees stay a big challenge for Algerian students (ta9achof xD)

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Thank you my dear ... Excellent 👏👏❤👍👍👍

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Thank you my dear ... Excellent 👏👏❤👍👍👍

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. He forgot to tell that he is a motherfucker

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and I have gone through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Find the best MA in International Relations

    RépondreSupprimer